Spotify is the modern equivalent to FM radio, allowing you to listen to songs while you drive cars and win wars on the Playstation, which is why it’s so frustrating when Spotify is not working on PS4 or PS5.
Unfortunately, there isn’t a single reason for Spotify not working on PS4. Plus, there could be more than one reason you can’t play Spotify on PS4 and PS5. Learn about all the common ways to fix Spotify on PS4 and PS5.
One of these methods to fix Spotify on PS4 and PS5 must work for you, and I use the “must” word with caution — given the guide includes an ultimate way that ensures you can play Spotify music on Playstation for sure.
As mentioned, there are several reasons for Spotify not working on PS4 and PS5 consoles. From simple server issues to corrupt databases, connection speed issues to Spotify’s technical issues.
But regardless of the problem, there are quick fixes to all the problems and many more in this guide.
1. Check PSN Server Status
Before trying to troubleshoot Spotify not working on PS4, you should check the Playstation Network (the PSN server).
You can check whether the Playstation Network is up or not by clicking this link.
Even if the server is down, the PSN page (the above link) will inform you about the timeframe after which the servers will be live again. At the same time, if the server will affect the use of Spotify or not.
When you open Playstation from another location (which means a different wireless network) with a shared location, the firewall or security measures might prevent your console from connecting with the Playstation network.
If that is the case, use the following Port numbers to connect the console to the Playstation Network:
- TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
- UDP: 3478, 3479
Certain times, it is not the PSN server that affects the connection issues or error codes. And updating the software can resolve the issues related to the server being the reason for Spotify not working.
Error codes on the Spotify page because of outdated software are a common problem reported by many PS4/PS5 users on Reddit, Quora, and PS Community pages. A simple fix is reinstalling the Spotify application (discussed later).
2. Check Spotify Network Server
Sometimes, Spotify server down status could be a reason for Spotify not working on PS4 or PS5. So, if you have any technical issues, check @SpotifyStatus. This will confirm if there are any technical issues from the Spotify side. Usually, the same handle also gives the timeframe for resolving the issue.
3. Check Internet Connection
Did you check the internet connection? Even if the system is connected to the internet, consider restarting the router or modem. Wait for the Playstation to connect and try opening Spotify again.
Check the internet speed and see if you have a reasonable download speed (16Mbps) and upload speed (4Mbps). Speak to the Internet Service Provider if you do not know how to deal with Speed issues — limiting the number of devices connected to the network, changing DNS, and so on.
4. Restart Spotify on PS4/PS5
Another effective way to deal with Spotify not working on PS4 is to restart the Spotify application.
- Go to the Homescreen.
- Locate the Spotify app (do not open it).
- Instead, click the OPTION button on it.
- Click Closed Application.
- And click on OK to confirm.
5. Reboot your PS4/PS5
As discussed, updating the software is one to deal with the network issues if Spotify on PS4 is not working. But if you still can’t play Spotify on PS4 or PS5, you can reboot the Playstation.
- Shut down the Playstation.
- Remove the cable and wait for 30 seconds.
- Turn on the Playstation.
Open the Spotify app, and the issue might resolve. However, if you still can’t play Spotify on PS4, scroll down to follow the other troubleshooting methods.
6. Rebuild Database on PS4 and PS5
Gamers usually rebuild the database on PS4 and PS5 to let the console find the relevant data and speed up the Playstation. However, many Playstations do not rebuild the database for obvious reasons, as they might know.
In simple terms, rebuilding the database allow the Playstation to troubleshoot the internal storage in Safe Mode. The internal storage scan resolves broken, duplicated, and corrupted files. And it rearranged the data, allowing for seamless and uninterrupted processes on the PS4 or PS5.
Note: Rebuilding the database can take hours depending on the state of the Playstation, the number of games installed, and many other factors. So, if you have planned a game with your playmates, skip the below-mentioned steps for later.
Step 1. Turn off the PS4 or PS5.
- After turning off the console, connect it to a USB cable (this is important as the console will not be able to connect with Bluetooth in Safe Mode).
Step 2. Press and hold the power button until you hear two beeps.
- After the second beep, release the button.
- Wait for the Safe Mode options to load.
- Under the Safe Mode menu, choose Rebuild Database.
You will see the Playstation logo for some time, and after that, the progress bar will indicate the time it needs to rebuild the database. The Playstation will restart automatically after the process completes.
7. Try playing Spotify via another device
You can play Spotify on another device and select the PS4 or PS5 via the Devices option on the Spotify app on the smartphone. However, this method only works if you open the Spotify app on the Playstation.
- Activate the Spotify app on PS4 or PS5.
- Open the Spotify app on the phone. (ensure that Spotify on the Playstation and your phone is linked to the same account). Additionally, ensure that both devices are connected to the same wireless network.
- Play a song on your phone.
- And click on the Devices icon and select the PS4 – XXXX or PS5 – XXXX option.
It will take some time for Spotify to appear on the Playstation and play the music. But it fixes the Spotify issue.
8. Use another DNS
If you still can’t play Spotify on PS4 after trying the above fixes to Spotify not working on PS4 or PS5 mentioned above, try changing the DNS server.
Note: It is better to consult a network specialist to follow this method. Yes, the method to change DNS is simple and easy, but doing it wrong can impact the console’s performance.
Ensure the Playstation is connected to a network before following the steps below.
Step 1. Go to Settings.
Step 2. Under Settings, choose Network.
Step 3. Choose Set Up Network Connection.
- And choose Choose Use Wi-Fi or Use a LAN Cable option depending on how you are connected.
Step 4. Under the “How do you want to set up Internet Connection” option, choose Custom.
- And select Automatic on the next page.
Step 5. Choose Do not Specify under the Hostname page.
- Select Manual under the DNS Settings page.
- Type in the Primary DNS and click Done.
- Type in the Secondary DNS and click Done.
- And click Next.
Step 6. Choose Automatic on the MTS Settings page.
- And select Do Not Use on the Proxy Server page.
You can get the DNS server list from the internet. Additionally, once you complete the above process, you will see an option to Test your Internet Connection. Click on the option to confirm the connection.
9. Reinstall Spotify on PS4/PS5
Reinstalling Spotify on PS4 or PS4 can also resolve many issues related to Spotify not working on PS4 or PS5; as mentioned, error codes are one of the issues that reinstalling the Spotify app on Playstation can fix.
Step 1. Go to the Homescreen. Locate the Spotify app.
Step 2. Click OPTION.
Step 3. Choose Delete. And confirm uninstallation by clicking OK.
- Choose All Apps from your media home.
- Choose Spotify > Download.
- Click on Sign up or Log in and enter your details.
- Choose Link Accounts.
Well, the above methods discuss all the possible scenarios of why Spotify on PS4 is not working. And there is a good chance that one of the methods may have worked to fix Spotify on PS4 and PS5. However, there is another — and the guaranteed way — to listen to Spotify’s music on Playstation without any interruptions.
Follow on to learn the ultimate way of listening to Spotify on Playstation.
Well, the ultimate way to fix Spotify on PS4 and PS5 is to download your favorite songs and copy them to the Playstation. This will avoid interruptions while ensuring the game doesn’t lag because the network is divided between Spotify and the game server.
And while there are many software that can help you download the Spotify song. One of the best, simple, and reliable software is VIDCOPE.
Here’s how to download Spotify in MP3 format using VIDCOPE:
Step 1. Download and Install the VIDCOPE on your computer.
- Launch the program.
- Click on the + button to locate Spotify’s music URL and choose all the Spotify music you desire to download.
Step 2. Define the output format (MP3 or any other).
- From the Menu option, choose Preferences.
- Under Preferences, define the output parameter’s like song format, MP3, or any other.
Step 3. Click on the Convert option to download the song in the desired format.
Further Reading: How to Convert Spotify Songs to MP3
That’s how you can download all the desired Spotify songs and playlists easily.
Once you organized all the downloaded songs. Follow the steps to move the downloaded Spotify music to PS4 using a USB.
Step 1. Connect a USB drive to the computer.
Step 2. Copy all the songs to a folder on the USB drive. After copying the songs to the USB drive, connect the USB to the Playstation console.
Step 3. Open the Playstation Media Player.
Once you open the Playstation Media Player, follow the below methods to play Spotify music on a PS4 or PS5 console:
- Select (Library) in the content area.
- Select (USB Music Player) in the content area.
- Select the music you want to play.
- To play all of the music in the folder, highlight the folder, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Play].
1. Which Playstation Consoles Are Compatible With Spotify?
PS3, PS4, and PS5 are compatible with Spotify.
2. Can I Listen To Spotify While Playing Games On PS4 and PS5?
- Locate Spotify in the Media home or the control center:
- Select the PS button on your controller to open the control center.
- Select Music.
- You can also use Spotify Connect. And use your phone to control the music on PS4 or PS5 remotely.
The songs you are playing via Music or your phone will appear in a card that allows you to skip forward, backward, and pause the songs while playing the game.
3. How Do I Sign In Via Another Spotify Account On Playstation Network?
- Go to Homescreen.
- From All Apps, choose Spotify.
- Click OPTION.
- Choose Unlink.
- Click OK to confirm.
After unliking the account, sign in via the new credentials.
Hopefully, one of the methods discussed in the guide would have fixed Spotify on PS4 or PS5 for you. Try all the methods one by one and in order. While there are several solutions discussed above, reinstalling the Spotify app and installing it again fixes all types of issues. Nevertheless, it does not mean other solutions might work; sometimes, they might cause Spotify not to work on PS4 or PS5. So, ensure to try all the methods. Plus, all these methods also, in a way, improve the performance of your console, like rebuilding the database.
And in case none of the methods to fix Spotify on PS4 or PS5 work for you, try the ultimate way, i.e., download the songs, copy them to USB, and listen to them uninterruptedly.