Spotify’s free version is known for two things: high-quality songs and podcasts from around the world and the Ads. In fact, even the premium users do not have the option to skip ads placed within the podcasts.
And in case you are unaware, using ad blockers for Spotify is against its user’s policy. So, what do you do? Well, you can block Spotify ads by using ad blockers that mute the ads instead of blocking them from the script.
Discover the best Spotify ad blocker app for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices. Also, find other blocking methods, like changing the host file and connecting a proxy to block Spotify ads.
Ad blockers for Spotify are a valuable tool to block or mute ads on Spotify in real-time. These are suitable for those who like to explore new playlists daily and enjoy listening to new songs daily.
But most of us have some favorite playlists that are worth our time daily and stored on the device.
Using Spotify for listening to the same songs on the internet not only costs data, and the quality of audio depends on the bandwidth. Moreover, using an ad blocker is against the policy of Spotify, resulting in a temporary or permanent ban. At the same time, if you use an ad blocker for Spotify that mutes the ad, there will be unnecessary interruptions in the song — spoiling the entire mood.
1. EZBlocker – Best Spotify Ad Blocker for Windows
Best for: free and reliable Windows ad blocker for Spotify
Official Page: EZBlocker
EZBlocker is a free program for Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11 users.
EZBlocker aims to block ads. And in case an ad does play, it mutes the ads. There are no fancy features in EZBlocker. All it does is block ads. And it does that reliably.
The interface is simple. And you will see three simple options: block ads on Spotify, block all ads (which are in the developing phase), and whether or not you want to start the application when Windows starts.
- Free program.
- Blocks all ads on Spotify; if not, it will mute them.
- Simple to use.
- Also available in Portuguese.
- It does not block all ads. Muting is good, but you will not hear anything until the ad is over.
2. MuteSpotifyAds – Best Spotify Ad Blocker for Mac
Best for: free and reliable Mac ad blocker for Spotify
Official Page: MuteSpotifyAds
MuteSpotifyAds comes from GitHub contributors as a gift to all Mac users looking for a reliable way to mute ads on Spotify.
Again, like EZBlocker Spotify ad blocker for Windows, MuteSpotifyAds does not come with any sophisticated features. Its script is designed to simply identify ads in playback and decrease/increase the volume levels accordingly.
MuteSpotifyAds simply channels the volume level to “0” whenever it detects an ad script and resumes the volume level to normal after that.
- Simple to use.
- You can configure it to start automatically with Spotify.
- Restarts Spotify to skip ads.
- Available in Chinese, English, German, Italian, Spanish, and Turkish.
- Difficult to install (like you have to move to the Application folder manually).
- You will have to wait till the ad is skipped.
- For Endless Private Session, you will have to configure the application with Script (provided on the official page).
3. Mutify – Mute annoying ads – Best Spotify Ad Blocker for Android
Best for: free and reliable Android Spotify ad blocker app
Official Page: Mutify – Mute annoying ads
Mutify is a free Spotify ad blocker app for Android users. Once again, Mutify works similar to the above-mentioned ad blocker programs for Mac and Windows.
That is — it detects an ad and turns down the volume automatically. And while it is adequate in blocking the interfering audio ads, it does not do anything to block video ads (when you shift the playlist).
Beyond that, there is nothing really special about the app. And yes, in case you are wondering, it is simple and runs in the background.
- Free and simple to use.
- It mutes the ads automatically.
- Notification when the application is disabled and Spotify is open.
- It does not block video ads.
- It affects the battery performance significantly.
4. StopAds – Best Spotify Ad Blocker for iOS
Best for: free and reliable iOS Spotify ad blocker app
Price: Free, US$ 19.99
Official Page: StopAds
StopAds is not just an ad blocker for Spotify. Instead, it is a powerful and robust iOS ad blocker that can block pop-ups, banners, video ads, and other interrupting ads from all the applications on your iOS.
It also prevents you from accessing malicious websites by detecting virus or malware scripts on the page. And if you have used ad blockers, you might already know that ad blockers speed up browsing.
However, most of the StopAds features are for premium users only. Another thing to note is to review the application yourself, given there are mixed user reviews — some bad, some good.
- Some features are free to use.
- Simple application.
- It can block all ads on every app, including Safari.
- It detects malicious websites.
- Some features like All Access Ad Blocking are limited only to premium users.
- Mixed reviews — some say exceptionally good, some find it bad.
5. SpotiAds – Best Spotify Ad Blocker for Browser
Best for: free and reliable browser Spotify ad blocker
Official Page: SpotiAds
SpotiAds is an extension used by some 80K users worldwide. Guess what? Most appreciate its Spotify ad blocking capabilities. However, they do mention that it works only 95% of the time (refreshing the Spotify page can help if it doesn’t work).
In all, if you use Spotify on Chrome, Firefox, or Brave and are looking for a free ad blocker for Spotify — SpotiAds is the way to go!
- It is available for Chrome, Firefox, and Brave.
- Free and efficient.
- It will not work with the Spotify application installed on the computer.
Connecting a Proxy Server sounds difficult, but it is an effective as well as a simple method to deal with ads on Spotify.
A Proxy Server means fooling Spotify by presuming that you are accessing Spotify from a location where Spotify hasn’t officially launched. And since Spotify hasn’t launched in the country or region, it does not bother users with ads.
Follow on to learn how to block Spotify ads on Mac and Windows.
Step 1. Select System Preferences in the Apple menu.
Step 2. Go to Network, and choose Advanced.
Step 3. Choose the FTP Proxy under the Proxies section.
Step 4. Enter the proxy server address and port number. (Do a quick web search and find a free Proxy server address, copy and paste it). Click OK after entering the Proxy server.
Step 5. And click Apply to save the changes.
Now when you open Spotify, there will be no ads. However, you have to ensure to use a Proxy Server where Spotify is not launched yet and allows the users to stream music. For instance, you can use Russian server addresses, as Spotify is not accessible in the country.
Step 1. Open the Settings on Windows. Choose Network & Internet.
Step 2. From the left pane, choose Proxy.
Step 3. Turn on the Manual Proxy server. Type in the “Address“ and “Port“ within the respective fields.
Another reliable way to block ads on Spotify is to change the Host file. You do not have to install any applications, plus it is completely free.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- Right-click on the Hosts file. From the drop-down menu, choose Open with Notepad.
- Copy and Paste the following commands:
|# — Spotify Ad Block|
# — Spotify Ads Block End
- Save the file.
- Now, open the Command Prompt with admin privileges. (Right-click and choose Run with administrator).
- Copy the following command: ipconfig /flushdns.
- And press Enter.
Restart the computer. You will not find any ads when you open the Spotify app.
Needless to say, the easiest way to block Spotify ads is to subscribe to Spotify’s monthly or annual plan.
Step 1. Go to spotify.com/us/premium. And choose Get Started.
Step 2. Type in the address in the respective fields. And choose the payment method.
Step 3. Type in payment details depending on the payment method. And click Start my Spotify Premium.
You can now enjoy music and podcasts without ads.
1. Why can’t I use an ad blocker for Spotify?
Spotify generates its revenue — and distributes to the artists — via ads or subscriptions.
As a result, Spotify will ban your account if it detects an ad blocker. (See May 1, 2019 Terms and Conditions changes.)
2. How long are Spotify ads in general?
Spotify ads are generally 15 to 30 seconds longer.
3. Can I skip Spotify ads without a premium account?
No. Usually, Spotify presents only unskippable ads.
4. Is it legal to use an ad blocker for Spotify?
Absolutely not. There won’t be any legal action taken against you for using AdBlock on Spotify. You can use the above-mentioned free ad blocker for Spotify to mute the ads which aren’t against Spotify’s guidelines.
No doubt, Spotify is one of the best music players. From podcasts, international music, and native songs to indie music — Spotify presents everything.
Moreover, its social features like accessing others’ playlists allows you to connect with others and listen to the songs that others live for.
But it is costly. And while paying US$ 9.99/mo isn’t affordable to everyone, you can use the ad blocker for Spotify mentioned above to at least mute the annoying and bothering ads.